A running account of life in the gallery and arts district

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Time for tonight's "Wine and Chocolate!"

Mitch at Perugino sold me a bottle of Lambrusco Rosa, a bright red, best served chilled(not cold) with enough sparkle to warrant a punt and a wired cork. I matched it with three very different chocolates from Fenton& Lee.
All foil wrapped, the first was the espresso(copper foil): Loved the taste of the chocolate but the wine was just not a match. I think this would be better with a cleaner, dryer champagne.
The second was Tanzanian 75% cacao(peach foil); This one stood up very well to the wine and as it melted in my mouth, a sip of the cool wine blended with the rich taste and the result was very appealing. Not, I am sure, to all tastes but I will serve this as a treat for a small party without hesitation.
The last, and most surprising, was the Dark. Wrapped in red foil and so rich you could smell it as the foil came off, this one made the wine luscious and wonderful! Melted slowly in my mouth and met the wine with a welcoming smoothness. The taste of the two was almost to much. The wine is sweet but not cloying; fruity and pleasant without being "desert wine" so the dark chocolate was a good foil. The contrapuntal effect had may taste buds happily confused.
I recommend a visit to the Fenton & Lee shop for a few daring pairings of your own. Try some and let me know what combination you fancy.

No comments: